Rustenberg Platinum Mines No. 4
Gelert is named after the legendary dog of Prince Llewelyn.
Click here for the famous story of Prince Llewelyn, his dog, and the naming of Beddgelert.
WG Bagnal No 3050 was built in 1953 for the Rustenberg Platinum Mines. Hear it is seen at Birkenhead Docks prior to being shipped to South Africa.
|Bagnall 3050 was officially named 'Gelert' in 1992. Here, 'Gelert' leaves the shed at Gelerts Farm, and prepares to take a loaded train out of Porthmadog Station.|
|1995, and Gelert is seen at Gelerts Farm Halt, on its way to Pen-y-Mount|
|1997, and Andy Hughes drives Gelert and train into Porthmadog Station|
|1998, and Gelert goes on holiday for 5 weeks at the South Tyndale Railway at Alston in Cumbria|
|Sadly Gelert failed in August 2000, with a leaky stay. As
it is so close to the end its 10 year boiler certificate, it may be some
time before Gelert goes again.
Seen hear, the bunkers have been emptied, firebars removed, and lastly, water is drained from the boiler.
|Gelert Returns to Traffic Aug 03|
|"Also available in Blue" !
June 04, Gelert shows off the new blue coat of paint.
|October 05, Gelert becomes the first steam loco to cross Penmount Crossing in almost 70 years,|
This page is maintained by Andrew Goodwin, Part-owner of Bagnal 3050 'Gelert'
|Return to Andrew's Page.||
©Andrew Goodwin 1997-2005
|Return to Gelert's page at the WHR|